Scholarly Japanese to English Translations
- Oguma, Eiji. ‘A New Wave Against the Rock: New Social Movements in Japan After the Fukushima Nuclear Meltdown’, The Asia-Pacific Journal, vol. 14, iss. 13, no 2, http://apjjf.org/2016/13/Oguma.html.
- Higuchi Akihiko. ‘The Mechanisms of Social Exclusion in Modern Society: The Dilemma of Active Labor Market Policy’, International Journal of Japanese Sociology, 23, pp. 110–124, http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1475-6781.2012.01165.x/abstract.
Other Translation Experience
2015. Translator, Official Catalog, Yamagata International Documentary Film Festival 2015
2011 Proofreading and translation checking of Japanese-English translations Anakizumu Bunken Sentā
2010 Proofreading and translation checking of Japanese-English translations Asia-Japan Women’s Research Center
2009 Proofreading and translation checking of Japanese-English translations, Korean Council for the Women Drafted for Military Sexual Slavery by Japan
2008 Translation of IT Product Manuals, Oasis, Shiki City, Saitama Prefecture, Japan
Accepted for publication. ‘Mobilizing Musical Traditions in the Anti-nuclear Resistance in Post-Fukushima Japan’, in David Slater and Patricia Steinoff (eds), Alternative (to) Politics, University of Hawai‘i Press.
- ‘Above and Below the Streets: A Musical Geography of Anti-nuclear Protest in Tokyo’, Emotion, Space and Society, vol. 20, pp. 82–89. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1755458616300044.
- ‘Remembering Hiroshima and the Lucky Dragon in ChimPom’s Level 7 feat. “Myth of Tomorrow”’, The Asia-Pacific Journal, vol. 13, iss. 6, no 3, http://japanfocus.org/-Alexander-Brown/4279.
- ‘A Society in Which People Demonstrate: Karatani Kōjin and the Politics of the Anti-nuclear Movement’, Proceedings of the 18th Conference of the Japanese Studies Association of Australia, Australian National University, Canberra, http://japaninstitute.anu.edu.au/sites/default/files/u6/23_Alexander_Brown-JSAA2013.pdf.
- ‘Precarious Times: The Revolutionary Potentiality of the Present’, in Cecile Lawrence and Natalie Churn (eds.), Movements in Time: Revolution, Social Justice and Times of Change, Cambridge Scholars Publishing, Newcastle Upon Tyne.
- Alexander Brown and Catherine Tsukasa Bender, ‘The Global Hiroba: Transnational Spaces in Tokyo’s Anti-nuclear Movement’, in Richard J. White, Simon Springer, Marcelo Lopes de Souza (eds), The Practice of Freedom: Anarchism, Geography and the Spirit of Revolt, Rowman & Littlefield, Lanham.
- Alexander Brown and Vera Mackie, ‘Introduction: Special Issue on Art and Activism in Post-disaster Japan’, The Asia-Pacific Journal, vol. 13, iss. 6, no 3, http://japanfocus.org/-Alexander-Brown/4277/article.html.
Edited Journal Special Issues
- Alexander Brown and Vera Mackie (eds), Special Issue on Art and Activism in Post-Disaster Japan, The Asia-Pacific Journal, vol. 13, iss. 6, no 3.
- ‘Power Struggles: The Strategies and Tactics of the Anti-nuclear Movement in Contemporary Tokyo’, doctoral dissertation, University of Wollongong, http://ro.uow.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=5521&context=theses
- ‘The Sydney Homoeopathic Dispensary: A Social History of Homoeopathy in Early Sydney’, honours dissertation, University of Wollongong.
Review of Youth Movements, Trauma and Alternative Space in Contemporary Japan, by Carl Cassegård. Japanese Studies
37 (2017): 140–2. http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/m8F2CWvtIS87JieDTkrK/full
- Review of Anne Allison, Precarious Japan (Durham 2013), Asian Studies Review, vol. 40, no 2, pp. 308–310.
- Review of Karatani Kōjin, History and Repetition, edited by Seiji M. Lippit (Columbia 2012), Japanese Studies, vol. 32, pp. 480–482.
- Review of Gender and Labour in Korea and Japan: Sexing Class (New York 2009), Intersections no 28, http://intersections.anu.edu.au/issue28/brown_review.htm.